Tuesday, December 15, 2009

2009 Christmas Treats

Normally, I make time to bake a few different treats to give out to my favorite people for the holidays.  My life has just been too hectic baking-wise lately and I just can't find the energy.  [Every person I know sheds a single tear.]  Sorry guys!

So, the only treats I will make this year were for Elisha's mom, Toni, who threw a Christmas party this weekend.  What I made for her were: Vanilla Christmas Tree Cupcakes (yes, I know they look like green dookie swirls), Red Velvet Cupcakes, Sugar Cookie Mittens, and Gingerbread Santa Hat Cookies.  Elisha suggested that I do hats and mittens because each guest was asked to bring a pair of mittens or a cozy hat to give to the homeless this winter.  I want to also mention that their family is the closest thing I know to the Huxtables and I love them for it.  Such a warm and fun family to be around!

Martha Stewart has yet to let me down.  Both cupcakes came from her books.  The vanilla cupcakes were adapted from the White Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream recipe in the Baking Handbook and the red velvet cupcakes came from Cupcakes.  I have been able to find both recipes on marthastewart.com.  The only thing I changed for the vanilla cupcakes was that I used a vanilla swiss meringue buttercream instead of a strawberry buttercream.  I really love the cupcakes fresh out of the oven.  So moist and fluffy.  When they are day old, they get slightly dryer and a bit more dense so make sure you eat these straight away!  The red velvet recipe was quite different than the one I have used before.  Martha's uses oil instead of butter and cake flour instead of all purpose.  I found that I like Martha's recipe better because I get a stronger cocoa flavor and they are very moist. 


Gingerbread Santa Hat Cookies


Sugar Cookie Mittens


Red Velvet Cupcakes

2 comments:

Elisha Nichole said...

The dookie swirls tasted amazing! I was thinking those metallic balls weren't edible at first but after one bite and no loss of teeth I realized they were sugar. So I had 2 more. Pigalicious.

missdreass said...

oh, sylvia. you never cease to amaze me with your dessert posts. seems like you're getting better and better. the photos are alluring - i've been brainstorming what kind of cookies to bake this christmas and these are good suggestions (for me). thanks for sharing!