Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Peanut Butter Silk Pie


Before we left for Hawaii, I promised Phil that I'd make him any dessert he liked when we got back. He chose this recipe for
Peanut Butter Silk Pie.

I had a number of other things to do today, so I didn't make my own graham cracker crust as originally planned. My good friends, the Keebler Elves, helped me out with that. All I did was brush a little beaten egg onto the crust and stuck in the oven for about 8 minutes to make it crispy and golden.

The recipe calls for a layer of fudge on the bottom, so I got a chance to bust out my new candy thermometer. I've never made fudge before and I didn't want to "fudge it up" (that one's for you Lisha) so I watched that thermometer like a hawk. Making the fudge was pretty easy so you might see more fudge recipes in the future. But it looked like the fudge layer was a little too thick and dense, which later caused problems when I cut into the pie.

The recipe told me to mix the all the filling ingredients at once. Next time, I would beat the cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth, then add the sugar, vanilla and milk. This time, what I got were lots of little cream cheese lumps.

I finished the pie with dollops of what I had left of the Cool Whip (piped from a ziplock bag and a star piping tip) and shavings of chocolate.

4 comments:

Miss Mary said...

I'm not saying I'm bitter or anything, but Lisha and I lived with you for 3 years and we didn't get treats like these.

Miss Mary said...

I take it back. I'm bitter.

Elisha Nichole said...

I'm also biter, but you made up for it with the fudge joke. Btw, this kinda sounds like a cheesecake which I only know because I too had lumpy cream cheese when I made my AWARD WINNING cheesecake last year.

Jason said...

that pie looks disgusting!