Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cupcake Pops

After carving the two birthday cakes (see previous posts), I had plenty of scraps left over. I scooped them into a bowl and refrigerated what was left after my parents picked at them. I knew before I started baking that the scraps would be perfect for making these cupcake pops.

My first encounter with these guys was at my goddaughter's birthday party earlier this year. Her mom, Jasmine, presented us with something probably a hundred times cuter than what you see here. They were almost too cute to eat. Almost. You can find the instructions on how to make them here.

After that day, I wanted to find a reason to make them and found the perfect opportunity when a friend asked me what ideas I had for party favors at a baby shower. I didn't get a chance to take photos when we made them then, but gladly got them this time.



I gotta say, I don't think I enjoy making these the way I do decorating cakes. The first time, I felt like I wasn't doing something right and I got the same feeling this time too. Rolling the cake balls is messy and gets cake smeared all over your palms. (I don't think there is any way around that.) It's tedious work to shape each ball into the form of the mini cupcake. (Don't think there is anything to do about that either.) Dipping them into the candy is messy and oftentimes the cupcake bottoms rip right off and fall into the bowl. For me, the part that discourages me the most is the messy factor. I don't do messy. Knowing all this, I am not sure if I would willingly make these again without help. But they sure are cute.

My cupcake pops are cute, but I've seen cuter. Maybe I'm just being overcritical. At least I know they taste good. My little cousin must have eaten three at dinner and combined with drinking a Coke, he was bouncing off the walls. Good luck to his parents for getting him to bed tonight.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

They certainly look cute, and I love the colors.

Jasmine said...

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of having to shape them too. Messy like you said and also, eventho my hands are super clean when I'm in the kitchen, there's something about reshaping/rolling peoples food 2 or 3 times that feels weird. Like people shouldn't eat stuff that's been manhandled too much.

Good thing Drea has a short memory. Hopefully she won't be asking me to make them again. =P