Monday, July 27, 2009

Pink & Lime Green Polka Dot Cake


Since I took the cake decorating class, I've been eager to test my new skills. In fact, I was a little too eager and promised 2 cakes to 2 different people for the same day. You'll read about the 2nd cake in the next post.

My god daughter, Makayla, and her two sisters had a joint birthday party so I offered to bake the cake as a gift. Makayla wanted a pink cake with lime green polka dots, so I used that as a starting point. It was also mentioned that the cake should be "whimsical and girly". In my mind, I felt the things I learned in decorating class would be perfect for this cake. In the course of looking for ideas, I decided to add the bow topper and the ribbon roses, both which looked easy enough to tackle for creating my first cake alone.


I started baking at about 7am and finished the cake in its entirety at 1am in the morning but this also includes some prep for the second cake, cooling time for the cakes and several long breaks in between.

I'm very satisfied with the way the cake turned out. Something that I want to continue to work on is smoothing out the fondant over the cakes. As you can see from the pictures, there are several dimples on the cake, especially on the front. I found a bubble under the fondant and stupidly thought that I could just press it out. Whoops! I didn't think a smoothing tool was an important tool, but I'm definitely going to get one for next time.

Happy birthday, girls!


No comments: