Wednesday, May 12, 2010

DIY: Cupcake Tower


My best friend's mom, Rose, turned 60 recently and had a huge shindig to celebrate.  I was commissioned to help out (I mean forced into slave labor) and build a cupcake tower. 

Building a cupcake tower is really only limited by your own imagination. I've seen fairly simple instructions and some more extreme ones as well.  I love the latter one but did not have that much time, skill, patience or money in my budget to build such a thing.  So, I based my tower off the more basic instructions.

You can't really tell in the pictures but each Styrofoam drum between each tier is covered in gold paper.  I didn't bother to wrap each tier in wrapping paper and just trimmed the edges with white ribbon.  I also gave the whole thing a final touch by adding fresh flowers here and there.  My tower fit approximately 40 cupcakes. 

My suggestions for those of you who are planning to build your own cupcake tower would be this: be creative.  All the tower has to be is sturdy.  To be quite honest, all I did was glue some stuff together and voila!  You can't call yourself crafty until you own a hot glue gun.  And of course, the bigger the tower, the more stable it will need to be.

The cake and cupcakes shown were made by Chestnut Bakery in San Francisco. 


The beautiful Chan family.  

No comments: