Thursday, June 12, 2008

Molten Lava Cakes

This week's Friend Favorite (actually, Boyfriend Favorite) is a Molten Lava Cake. The first time I made this for him was on Valentine's Day and he really enjoyed it. These are yummy individual cakes that are cakey on the outside but when you dive into them they ooze with chocolate. I really like them with a fresh berry sauce and fresh whipped cream, as pictured above.

The original recipe I found makes 4 individual cakes but I halved the recipe and added a little more flour. Also, I've made this recipe with semisweet chocolate and it still comes to be a good product. I'm sure if you wanted a less intense chocolatey flavor (but who does!?) you can use milk chocolate instead.

In the picture is a strawberry sauce, but I've made them with raspberry sauce before. Simply puree about a cup of berries in a food processor and strain out the seeds. Add sugar or corn syrup to sweeten the sauce, if needed.

The whipped cream was also simple to make. Whip 1/4 heavy cream with 1 tablespoon (or more if you like it sweeter) and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and until thick. I over whipped my cream in the picture, but I don't mind my whipped cream being too thick.

I feel that this recipe is really easy to make and it looks like a really elegant and sophisticated dessert. So, trick all your friends and make it!

Molten Lava Cakes
serves 2

Ingredients

4 tablespoons butter
cocoa powder for dusting
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon flour

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Butter and dust two 4 ounce ramekins with cocoa powder.

In the top half of a double boiler set over simmering water, heat the butter and the chocolate until the chocolate is almost completely melted.

Whisk egg, egg yolk and sugar together until light and thick.

Pouring slowly, beat in the melted chocolate and butter into the egg mixture. Add flour and mix until just combined.

Divide the batter between the ramekins and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until tops are set and not runny. Invert cakes onto serving plates. Serve immediately with fresh whipped cream and berry puree, if desired.

1 comment:

Elisha Nichole said...

You made this already. Phil, get with it. Happy anniversary b.t.w. (better touch her woo-hoo for this).