Saturday, June 21, 2008

Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches

It was a friggin' hotter than hot weekend and there was no better time than to make Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches.

Making the brownie was the easy part, but assembling the sandwich made quite a mess. Next time, I think I'd use Martha's recipe for Classic Ice Cream Sandwiches, which is in this months Everyday Food.

Martha's recipe directs you to cut the thin sheet of chocolate cake in half, spread the soften ice cream on one half and top with the other. Then, freeze until set and use a serrated knife dipped in warm water to cut the sandwich into individual portions.

Rachel's on the other hand, has you cutting the brownie into 2 in by 4 in pieces, assembling, then freezing. I found this to be really hard on a warm day because I couldn't work fast enough and I had ice cream soup all over the place. I should have followed my gut to change the directions in Rachel's recipe, but wanted to try it her way... that won't happen again.

Also, I think I would prefer an ice cream sandwich made with cake. The brownie was very rich and a little hard to bite into after frozen. If following Rachel's recipe, make sure to press down on the brownie as it cools to make the layer thinner. I probably should have done this more.

All in all, these were very good. I made half with Haagen Dazs Vanilla and the other half with Dreyers Slow Churned Mint Karaoke Cookie. I wished the sandwiches had more ice cream in them!

2 comments:

Elisha Nichole said...

I cannot believe I missed these. SLOW CHURNED MINT! My taste buds will never forgive me. Somehow, this is Ricky's fault.

Miss Mary said...

Fuck Rachel.